WHAT IS DRIVING THE BIO-BASED MOVEMENT?
One driving factor toward purchasing bio-based products is the continuation of the green movement, by which we all reflect our social and environmental responsibility by utilizing products that are safer for both the user and the environment. However; this is not the largest factor at this time.
Presidential Executive Order (EO) 13423, “Strengthening Federal, Enviromental, Energy, and Transportation Management,” and EO 13514, “Federal Leadership in Environmental, Energy and Economic Performance,” mandate the purchase of bio-based products, along with other directives, for federal facilities, government agencies and the military. While these are not new Executive Orders, they were put in place with timelines for compliance. With clearer definitions of bio-based and the deadlines for compliance nearer on the horizon, the push is back on to make sure the federal facilities are setting the example for all of us to follow.
Goals included in EO 13423:
- Energy Efficiency – Reduce energy intensity 30% by 2015, compared to 2003 baseline.
- Greenhouse Gases – Reduce greenhouse gas emissions through reduction of energy intensity 30% by 2015, compared to 2003 baseline.
- Water Conservation – Reduce water consumption intensity by 16% by 2015, compared to 2007 baseline.
- Pollution Prevention – Reduce use of chemicals and toxic materials and purchase lower risk chemicals and toxic materials.
- Procurement – Expand purchases of environmentally sound goods and services, including bio-based products.
EO 13514 Expands on the above, including:
- Water Conservation – Increasing reduction to 26% by 2020 compared to 2007 baseline.
Procurement – Ensure 95% of new contract actions (task and delivery orders) are:
- Environmentally preferable
- Generally non-toxic
- Contain recycled content